Ixquick never uses tracking cookies, and we have nothing to do with Google cookies.
A Google cookie called "PREF" can be set when you use Firefox or Chrome as your browser, regardless of whether you visit Google.com, Ixquick.com or any other website.
There is a technical reason why this happens. More information can be found here.
Here's how to prevent Google (and other websites) from setting cookies:
- Pull down the Firefox menu.
- Click on Preferences.
- Select the Privacy tab.
- Locate the History section.
- In the pull-down menu next to Firefox will select Use custom settings for history.
- Vink de optie Cookies van websites accepteren aan
- Check Accept cookies from sites, then click Exceptions.
- When the exceptions window pops up, enter www.google.com to prevent Google from setting cookies on your browser. (You can enter any other websites you want to restrict from placing cookies, and make other privacy settings changes you'd like.)
- Make sure to select your preference next to Accept third-party cookies.
- Close the "Preferences" tap to save your changes.
In Chrome or Chromium:
- Click the wrench or horizontal bar icon at the upper right.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Show advanced settings.
- Click the Content Settings button.
- Under Cookies check Block third-party cookies and site-data.
- Click Manage exceptions
- When the exceptions window pops up, enter www.google.com to prevent Google from setting cookies on your browser. (You can enter any other websites you want to restrict from placing cookies.)
- From the pull-down menu under Behavior, select Block.
- Repeat for any other websites you want to block from setting cookies.
- Click Done to save your settings.
- Click Done and close the "Settings" tab to exit.
If you don't see the above options in Firefox or Chrome, please make sure your browser is up to date.